Friday, February 18, 2011

Blog Safety Tips

Would you look at me? Two blog posts in one day. No, this will not become normal behavior and yes, this is another assignment for INST 4015. So here goes:

Safety Tip #1: Protect your privacy by keeping personal information personal.
  • I know, this seems like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised how many people tell, not only everything about themselves, but everything about everybody else as well. Of course, protecting privacy involves much more than jumping the "too much information" line, protecting your privacy means no phone numbers, no addresses, and for Heaven's sake, no social security numbers. Unless you're listing your business information, just steer clear of that particular minefield. If I'm going to create a blog for my students, I want to make sure that I protect them and myself from all those crazies out there.
  • http://www.teach2learn.info/docs/presentations/Safebloggingpractices10-24-06.pdf

Safety Tip #2: Set up a robots text file.

  • OK, this was a cool little tidbit that I was completely unaware of. Because I am a teacher and I will be using my blog as an extension of my classroom, I want to make completely sure that my students feel safe enough in my blog to participate. My students will be using their real names, so one way that I can make my blog a little more secure is by setting up a robots text file. Basically, this excludes our posts from appearing in search engine results. Seriously, google your own name and prepare to gasp in horror at all the information that is available on you. But hey, at least your blog posts won't be included.
  • http://security.rit.edu/dsd/bestpractices/socialnetworks.html

Safety Tip #3:Change your password frequently.

  • This is something that we hear all the time, but if you're like me, you never do it. The most likely place for a security breech is a compromised password. By changing your password often, it makes it much more difficult for a hacker to steal that information and thus gain full access to your personal information and your blog. Write it down in your planner, and at least twice a year change all of your passwords. Everybody's much safer that way.
  • http://www.teach2learn.info/docs/presentations/Safebloggingpractices10-24-06.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment